Thank you for visiting our Leadership Transition page. Stonebridge is in a season of celebration for how God has blessed us the last 60 years and expectant hope as we trust God to lead us in His plans for our future. Come back to this page to find ongoing updates throughout our lead pastor transition process and ongoing prayer requests from our pastoral search team.
Leadership Transition Announcement
In early 2018, Pastor Randy announced his plan to transition out of his role as Lead Pastor in the next 12-24 months. Take a moment to view THIS VIDEO from Pastor Randy and Jamie Jonas, Elder Board Vice Chair, with information regarding leadership transition throughout 2018 – 2019 and read through the FAQ below.
Stonebridge Transition: Our Next Steps
Hear how elders Terry Brandt and Steve Duffy share information on hiring a search firm and our 404 Vision Planning by watching THIS VIDEO
Prayer Requests from Pastoral Search Team
- God will be glorified in all we do as we search for the next Lead
Pastor. (1 Corinthians 10:31)
- We will work well with The Shepard’s Staff, and Greg Allen, who will
be assisting us in our search process. (Ephesians 4:3)
- God will be preparing the heart of the man who will be our next
Lead Pastor. (Proverbs 21:1)
- God will instruct, and teach us and counsel us with His eye upon us.
- God will bless us with the wisdom we need to discern His leading
and make good decisions. (James 1:5)
- We will trust in the Lord will all of our heart and not rely on our
own insight. In all of our ways we will acknowledge Him and He will
make our path straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)
If you have further questions, please reach out to a Stonebridge Elder or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Leadership Transition FAQ
1. Why is Randy thinking about transition? A few years ago Randy brought up the discussion of transition with the elders. Knowing he was growing older and that the lead pastor role is important to our church, he wanted to make sure we transitioned in a healthy way. Randy was inspired by his predecessor, Bruce Stokka, and would like to remain at Stonebridge in the future as Bruce did. However, he has other ministry opportunities and family interests (grandchildren!) to which he’d like to give attention in the future. He thoroughly enjoys his work at Stonebridge and it won’t be easy to transition but he wants to be a part of making sure a new lead pastor gets started well.
2. What is the timeframe for the transition? The Elder Board has been working on a succession plan to ensure the leadership and pastoral needs of our congregation will continually be met. Pastor Randy will remain as Lead Pastor through the search process and will continue on for a period after the new pastor is hired for the purposes of training and transition. This process is anticipated to take 12-24 months.
3. Why will there be overlap between Randy and the new pastor? After analyzing several pastoral transition options, the Elder Board is recommending an overlap strategy to provide the best transition between key leaders. This allows the new pastor to “shadow” Pastor Randy for a period of time while getting to know ministry leaders and becoming familiar with our Stonebridge family, mission, values and goals.
4. Who is in charge of the search process? The Elders will oversee the search process and work closely with a search team.
5. Will we hire from within or look outside the church? Through prayer and discussion about the overall needs of our church and our vision for the future, it was determined that an experienced pastor with years of leading a sizeable congregation will be sought.
6. How does this impact the hiring of other staff positions? Because the Lead Pastor works so closely with the worship leader, and other pastoral staff, it is imperative they have a good chemistry and working relationship. For that reason, we think it is wise to have a new Lead Pastor search first. Then when the new Lead Pastor is in place, he can have a major role in finding and hiring additional staff as needed. We are confident in our volunteer leaders, and we hope to get started on a new search process soon after a new Lead Pastor comes.
7. Will Pastor Randy and his family remain at Stonebridge? Yes. After the overlap period has ended, Randy will take a sabbatical for a time period to be determined by the Elders and new Lead Pastor. Lord willing, he desires to return as a member and volunteer at Stonebridge.
8. What are the next steps in the process? The search team is actively working with a search firm to identify and screen potential candidates. During this process, they will interact with a handful of highly qualified candidates to assess their skills, character and potential fit for Stonebridge. Once the team feels they have identified a strong candidate, Stonebridge leaders and, following their approval, the congregation will be invited to interact with the candidate. The final step in the process is a congregational vote to confirm the calling of the candidate.