A Brief History
In 1958 we began our ministry proclaiming the good news of Jesus Christ on the corner of Midway Drive and West Post Road in Cedar Rapids as Cedar Hills Evangelical Free Church. In 2008 we moved to our new location as Stonebridge Church at 1829 Stoney Point Road, SW.
How Did We Get Started?
In 1957, Free Church Central District Superintendent O.W. Johnson developed an interest in planting a church in Cedar Hills, a new residential area on the west side of Cedar Rapids. A survey was developed and a team established to investigate the possibility of securing land in the area. A 2.5 acre plot was purchased with contributions from several families, churches and businesses. Those with a vision for this church prayed that “…God’s blessing will be upon this work in such a glorious way that the community will sense and know that this is a work of God…” God has blessed us with His “YES” to this prayer!
Building For His Glory
In 1958 the first building was constructed on Lewellen Drive. It housed a chapel on one end and an apartment for a parsonage on the other. On October 26, 1958 the first service was held in the new chapel with Rev. Roger Gustafson as our first pastor and the building was dedicated on November 23, 1958. Five young couples formed the core of the new congregation. On February 21, 1960, forty-one charter members were received to establish the new congregation. In 1968 a sanctuary with basement classrooms and a fellowship hall was built on West Post Road. From these humble beginnings came Cedar Hills EFC, a thriving church community. On October 5, 2008, Cedar Hills Evangelical Free Church relocated to Stoney Point Road and became Stonebridge Church. God continues to pour out His grace and we seek to proclaim Christ as Lord in eastern Iowa and beyond.